This is a fancy dessert that is impressive and easy to make (especially if you like using a butane torch). It can be made in advance and stored for up to 2 days, making it perfect for dinner parties.
INGREDIENTS: 4 servings
- egg yolks – 3
- heavy cream – 1 cup
- sugar – 1/3 cup
- vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- sugar (for brulee top)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, slightly beat egg yolks with whisk.
- In a larger bowl, stir heavy cream, 1/3 cup sugar and vanilla extract until well mixed. Then add egg yolks and beat with whisk until well blended.
- Pour cream mixture evenly into 4 (4oz) ceramic ramekins in an oven-safe pan. Carefully pour boiling hot water into pan until it reaches 2/3 of the height of the ramekins.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until top is light golden brown.
- Cool to room temperature (about 2 hours) and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Gently blot any liquid from tops of custards with paper towel and sprinkle 1-2 teaspoons sugar over each chilled custard.
- Hold torch 3 to 4 inches from custard, moving flame continuously over sugar in circular motion, until sugar is melted and light golden brown.