Shanghai dishes are often braised or stewed in sugar and soy sauce. This Chinese-style pulled pork dish has a rich flavorful sauce and goes great with all kinds of noodles, even ramen or egg noodles! And it’s easy to make in a slow cooker.
- pork shoulder (half) – 4 pounds
- 5 spice powder
- chicken broth – 2 cups
- soy sauce – 1/2 cup
- brown sugar – 1/4 cup
- rice wine – 2 tablespoons
- chili flakes – 1/2 teaspoon
- scallions – handful, cut into 2 inch pieces
- ginger – 5 slices
- garlic – 5 cloves, cut into halves
- shitake mushrooms – 8, cut into halves
- Rub pork shoulder with 5 spice powder and place in slow cooker, skin side down.
- Combine broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, rice wine & chili flakes in a bowl and mix well.
- Add marinade, scallions, ginger, garlic & mushrooms to slow cooker.
- Cook on LOW for 8 hours.